- This adventure has the same itinerary as the Backpacker Special but instead we stay at the world famous Black Sheep Inn.
- Type of Adventure: High Andean adventure, off the beaten track with lots of local colour and culture. Beginner to extreme trekking and horse riding. A must-see area of Ecuador.
- Physical rating: 3-8 Always above 3000m. Extreme trekking to sedate sight-seeing.
- Adventure rating: 6-8 Off the main tourist trail on dirt roads.
- Adventure Highlights: High Andean culture. Amazing views of Laguna Quilotoa. Horse riding in the fresh Andean air. Note: ratings are on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the lowest.
|Accommodation costs for Black sheep Inn - 2009 prices|
|Shared Bathroom:||Private Bathroom:|
|Shared Bunkroom||$ 36.00 per person||***********|
|Quadruple||$ 40.00 per person||$ 60.00 per person|
|Triple||$ 50.00 per person||$ 70.00 per person|
|Double||$ 60.00 per person||$ 80.00 per person|
|Single||$ 70.00 per person||$ 100.00 per person|
|Prices include 22% tax.|
Join us for the spectacular Laguna Quilotoa adventure, one of Ecuador’s most exhilarating destinations.(see photos) .
Please have a look at this to see a sample adventure.
The crater lake of Laguna Quilotoa is nestled 3,800m high in an active Andean volcano. Located about 100km south of Quito, the ‘Laguna,’ or lake, sparkles a beautiful emerald colour due to high mineral content in the icy water. The surrounding area offers stunning vistas with high mountain peaks and rugged Andean landscapes. Here, you'll find some of the best trekking and horseback riding in Ecuador. The remoteness of Laguna Quilotoa transports you back in time through unforgettable indigenous Andean villages along rustic dirt roads. This is one adventure in Ecuador you do not want to miss and added to this we stay at the award winning Black Sheep Inn Eco lodge.
- Q. How difficult is the Trekking? A. The area around Chugchilan and Quilotoa is set high (3800m) in the beautiful Andes. You will need to have a basic level of fitness but are not expected to be an extreme climber or mountaineer. The longest walk will be around 5hrs and at a slow pace. If you feel the need it is possible to hire mules to either take your day bag or even you! It all adds to the adventure!
- Q. What vehicle will we travel in? A. We will be travelling in a fully expedition equipped 4x4. The 4x4 is both safe and comfortable and at the same time strong and has legendary off road capabilities. On board we carry a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, maps, tools. The vehicle will be driven by a fully licensed driver with many years of experience driving expeditions throughout Latin America.
- Q. What’s included?
- Transport in a safe and comfortable 4x4, with plenty of space for you and your bags.
- Trained and experienced Mountain Guide will lead all of the treks.
- Lunch, breakfast and dinner in local Andean restaurants or at the Black Sheep Inn while on the trip.
- Clean and comfortable accommodation at the Black Sheep Inn, hot water, restaurant, teas & coffees, open fire, hammocks
- Q. What's not included?
- Hire of a mule for the trek back up from the lake (~$4).
- Mountain bikes (~$10/day).
- Horseback riding (~$15 for 3-4 hours).
- Q. What to pack?
- Walking boots or strong trekking type shoes.
- Waterproof jacket.
- Warm hat and gloves (if you have them - or you can buy them for few dollars).
- Day pack and larger over night pack.
- Sun glasses.
- Sun cream.
- Clothes for day trekking prepare for chilly nights and warm days.
- Change of clothes for the evening.
- Sense of adventure!
- Q. More than 5 of us?
- For more than 5 people the price stays the same as above as would need larger vehicles.
Need more information…?
- Would you like to reserve a space?
- Still not sure yet - Photos?
- Have more detailed questions check out FAQ?
- Please do not hesitate to call or email…. English Spoken